Why do people want to join your company?
In the current market it’s easy enough for companies to answer the question, “Why would someone want to join your company?” with the answer “Because we’re hiring”
But that’s a terrible answer.
Whether the market is good or bad, you want people to join your business for the right reasons, and to stay.
Sadly, a lot of the time people join companies for all the wrong reasons. Either because their decision making is unwise or because the company is selling it wrongly. And they inevitably end up leaving or being deeply unhappy. Neither is a good outcome for either side.
So I thought I’d list three bad and then three good reasons why someone might join your company:
1. Money – now of course you want to pay your staff well. But if they join you just because you’ve blown another offer out of the water with more money, one of two things is going to happen. Either they’ll get more money from another company and leave, or they’ll get more money from another company and hold you hostage. Paying people fairly is the right thing to do, but it’s not the way to secure or retain them. They need a better motivation.
2. Your company is full of people like them – you need diversity in your team. If you only hire one type of person you’ll get all the good characteristics of that person amplified – but also all the bad characteristics. Hiring 25 variations on the same person really isn’t going to build a good team, and hiring the person that just wants to work with people like them is not wise in the long term. Again, it doesn’t mean you can never hire someone who’s from a similar background as someone else in the team: but it shouldn’t be the reason for hiring them, or their reason for joining
3. Location – because location is nearly irrelevant now anyway, no? But just hiring someone because they live round the corner doesn’t really suggest you’ve gone out of your way to find the best person in the market. Of course if the best person in the market lives round the corner……it’s a win!
1. Mission – someone who is excited about what you’re trying to achieve, buys into your goals and sees how working on your projects will grow their skills and develop their career is joining for all the right reasons. They’ll stay in the long term, they’ll commit their efforts to doing the work you need done, and they’ll be an advocate for the business.
2. Autonomy/responsibility – hiring people who you trust to work in their own way and take accountability for their own work and performance means that your management overhead is reduced. And that you’re hiring people who will add value to the business over and above their day to day contribution. If you allow people to take responsibility then you’ll be giving them a strong incentive to stay for the long term, because they’ll have skin in the game.
3. Influence – again, hiring people and allowing them to influence the work and people around them (and of course be influenced in term) gives a strong sense of ownership and allows people to feel that they are contributing in the broader sense to a business rather than simply doing tasks for cash. Those people in turn stay longer, become an advocate for the business, and contribute more.
In short (and I can’t think how many time I’ve typed this) – hire adults and treat them as adults. As far as you possibly can, let them take ownership, let them innovate, let them do what they do. They’ll thrive, and they’ll stay, and both of those things are good for your business.Browse Jobs Submit CV Submit Vacancy Contact Justin
19th May 2021
11th April 2021
9th April 2021
25th March 2021
Alastair is extremely client focused and always looking for the win-win in every situation. He has considerable experience delivering complex Exec Search, MSP and recruitment campaigns in both the private and public sector. He has exceptional stakeholder management skills, and is an all-round good bloke!
- Recruitment Director
Justin contacted me with reference to a vacancy at Atkins.He guided me through the process with excellent results. I can not thank Justin enough for his support, integrity and super service.during this time. Thanks again.
- Candidate – placed as Project Manager
Alastair was introduced to us as we had a senior recruitment need. I was really impressed with the time Alastair spent getting to know our business and our culture so that he understood the uniqueness of what we do. This was a new role to us and it was important to get it right. Alastair was able to balance ours and the candidates needs and worked with us not for us which is where other recruiters, I think, go wrong. I felt in control of the process from beginning to end and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend without hesitation.
- HR Director
Alastair has successfully supported a number of opportunities that I have had, orchestrating his teams and aligning them to the needs of his client. This is born from his customer focus and desire to fully understand the environment, culture and team dynamic, all essential requirements needed to ensure that the short lists presented not only match the skills and experience required, but also the organisational fit. His proactive, professional and diligent approach has eased what can be a time consuming and difficult process when building high performing teams.
I've worked with Justin off and on for 7-8 years and in recent times he has become my "go to" recruiter, having placed 20+ staff, with the businesses I've lead . Finding a recruiter that values the strategic relationship, satisfaction and well-being of his client, over the commission of making a placement, is a rare thing. Combined with Justin's adaptability to the needs of those he is working with, his flexible approach and candidate quality - you have a winner. Justin takes the time to understand the dynamics and personalities within the businesses he is recruiting for and finds candidates that fit the qualifications needs and culture of your business. I'd recommend Justin and Vocative to any technology company looking to find great talent and work with a likeable, professional and effective recruiter
- IT Director
Justin is easy to work with with good communication skills. He followed up on interviews and was a good source of advice. I would use him again & recommend him to others.
- Candidate – placed as Senior Project Manager
Justin is an extremely enthusiastic and dedicated professional. He has a unique knowledge and in-depth experience of the IT sector and candidate market. He provides a credible and commercial resourcing service to the business. Rather than throwing CV’s my way he absolutely gets our vision. Justin has a real knack for understanding the needs of the business and sourcing quality candidates to match those needs. His approach is refreshing and he is an absolute pleasure to work with.
- Candidate – Placed as IT Manager
I have worked with Alastair as both a client and a customer. As a client the service he provided was A1, he listened to my requirements and carefully vetted candidates to ensure they met my needs. He provided great information regarding candidate types and salaries and helped address any concerns I had about individual interviewees. As a customer, he gave me relevant information about the role and ensured I was briefed sufficiently to interview effectively. He sorted contract issues and gave me honest and sage advice. I whole heartedly recommend Alastair and will definitely be using his services again.
- Programme Manager, Client and Contractor
Alastair demonstrates the perfect mix of a professional and personable approach to drive successful outcomes for both clients and applicants. He spends quality time in understanding the challenge and provides excellent support with a real attention to detail. As a result is he perfectly suited to help navigate complex recruitment scenarios whilst building trusted and long term relationships. An absolute pleasure to deal with!
- CTO candidate
Having worked with Justin on a number of assignments both at my current organisation and a number of those that I have worked at over the past few years I am please to recommend him and his organisation as an excellent provider of quality candidates to fulfil your entire IT sourcing needs. Justin becomes an extension to your organisation when seeking new talent on both a contract and permanent basis as takes the time to understand your organisations workings before searching for and matching the skills you need. Justin balances the technical, cultural and interpersonal skills of each candidates so the fit your requirements very closely and prepares each candidate before they even walk through your door so they have the best possible chance when faced with attending an interview. Justin fast tracks the process of hiring new staff by only putting forward the right sort of candidates first time so you don’t need to go through hundreds of interviews before finding a shortlist of possible candidates that fit.
- Client (CIO)