Why do people want to join your company?
In the current market it’s easy enough for companies to answer the question, “Why would someone want to join your company?” with the answer “Because we’re hiring”
But that’s a terrible answer.
Whether the market is good or bad, you want people to join your business for the right reasons, and to stay.
Sadly, a lot of the time people join companies for all the wrong reasons. Either because their decision making is unwise or because the company is selling it wrongly. And they inevitably end up leaving or being deeply unhappy. Neither is a good outcome for either side.
So I thought I’d list three bad and then three good reasons why someone might join your company:
1. Money – now of course you want to pay your staff well. But if they join you just because you’ve blown another offer out of the water with more money, one of two things is going to happen. Either they’ll get more money from another company and leave, or they’ll get more money from another company and hold you hostage. Paying people fairly is the right thing to do, but it’s not the way to secure or retain them. They need a better motivation.
2. Your company is full of people like them – you need diversity in your team. If you only hire one type of person you’ll get all the good characteristics of that person amplified – but also all the bad characteristics. Hiring 25 variations on the same person really isn’t going to build a good team, and hiring the person that just wants to work with people like them is not wise in the long term. Again, it doesn’t mean you can never hire someone who’s from a similar background as someone else in the team: but it shouldn’t be the reason for hiring them, or their reason for joining
3. Location – because location is nearly irrelevant now anyway, no? But just hiring someone because they live round the corner doesn’t really suggest you’ve gone out of your way to find the best person in the market. Of course if the best person in the market lives round the corner……it’s a win!
1. Mission – someone who is excited about what you’re trying to achieve, buys into your goals and sees how working on your projects will grow their skills and develop their career is joining for all the right reasons. They’ll stay in the long term, they’ll commit their efforts to doing the work you need done, and they’ll be an advocate for the business.
2. Autonomy/responsibility – hiring people who you trust to work in their own way and take accountability for their own work and performance means that your management overhead is reduced. And that you’re hiring people who will add value to the business over and above their day to day contribution. If you allow people to take responsibility then you’ll be giving them a strong incentive to stay for the long term, because they’ll have skin in the game.
3. Influence – again, hiring people and allowing them to influence the work and people around them (and of course be influenced in term) gives a strong sense of ownership and allows people to feel that they are contributing in the broader sense to a business rather than simply doing tasks for cash. Those people in turn stay longer, become an advocate for the business, and contribute more.
In short (and I can’t think how many time I’ve typed this) – hire adults and treat them as adults. As far as you possibly can, let them take ownership, let them innovate, let them do what they do. They’ll thrive, and they’ll stay, and both of those things are good for your business.Browse Jobs Submit CV Submit Vacancy Contact Justin
Justin is an extremely enthusiastic and dedicated professional. He has a unique knowledge and in-depth experience of the IT sector and candidate market. He provides a credible and commercial resourcing service to the business. Rather than throwing CV’s my way he absolutely gets our vision. Justin has a real knack for understanding the needs of the business and sourcing quality candidates to match those needs. His approach is refreshing and he is an absolute pleasure to work with.
- Candidate – Placed as IT Manager
Justin contacted me with reference to a vacancy at Atkins.He guided me through the process with excellent results. I can not thank Justin enough for his support, integrity and super service.during this time. Thanks again.
- Candidate – placed as Project Manager
Alastair demonstrates the perfect mix of a professional and personable approach to drive successful outcomes for both clients and applicants. He spends quality time in understanding the challenge and provides excellent support with a real attention to detail. As a result is he perfectly suited to help navigate complex recruitment scenarios whilst building trusted and long term relationships. An absolute pleasure to deal with!
- CTO candidate
Justin and I have worked very closely on a number of particularly challenging and complex campaigns. As a business woman I appreciate the work he puts into the twin perils of senior level recruitment - 1. sourcing quality candidates and 2. ensuring he keeps them interested in our opportunity through what is nearly always a 'long and winding road'! As a person I appreciate Justin's candour, sharp observations and his sense of humour. Through what are often fairly knotty propositions, we have fun and get the job done.
- VP People
Justin is easy to work with with good communication skills. He followed up on interviews and was a good source of advice. I would use him again & recommend him to others.
- Candidate – placed as Senior Project Manager
Alastair has been easy to work with, professional in what he does and very much on the ball when it comes to placements. I would recommend working with Alastair and look forward to doing so again myself in the not to distant future.
- Interim CTO
Alastair has successfully supported a number of opportunities that I have had, orchestrating his teams and aligning them to the needs of his client. This is born from his customer focus and desire to fully understand the environment, culture and team dynamic, all essential requirements needed to ensure that the short lists presented not only match the skills and experience required, but also the organisational fit. His proactive, professional and diligent approach has eased what can be a time consuming and difficult process when building high performing teams.
Justin was far more professional than any other headhunter I've worked with.
- Candidate – Placed as Senior Java Developer – Investment Banking, Zurich
I've worked with Justin off and on for 7-8 years and in recent times he has become my "go to" recruiter, having placed 20+ staff, with the businesses I've lead . Finding a recruiter that values the strategic relationship, satisfaction and well-being of his client, over the commission of making a placement, is a rare thing. Combined with Justin's adaptability to the needs of those he is working with, his flexible approach and candidate quality - you have a winner. Justin takes the time to understand the dynamics and personalities within the businesses he is recruiting for and finds candidates that fit the qualifications needs and culture of your business. I'd recommend Justin and Vocative to any technology company looking to find great talent and work with a likeable, professional and effective recruiter
- IT Director
I can't say that I enjoy dealing with Recruiters but Justin changed my opinion - honest, follows the client's lead, does the hard work and not a pressure merchant. Will use him again when I need to recruit.
- Client (Head of IT)